262-877-2557 Fax: 262-877-2431
701 N Lake Avenue
Twin Lakes, WI 53181
stjohnev@archmil.org
 
About Us
 


Parish History

In 1926 priests from Holy Name of Jesus parish in Wilmot began to visit Catholic families around Lakes Elizabeth and Mary. In 1932 a Mission Church of Holy Name was formally established under the patronage of St. John the Evangelist.  Five years later, the Village of Twin Lakes was incorporated in 1937.

In 1942 a church building was constructed on what is now the site of the Haase-Lockwood & Associates Funeral Homes and Crematory in Twin Lakes. The church building was a simple, unfinished cement block structure with only the essentials for conducting Mass.  The majority of the initial building cost was funded by Holy Name. When the mission became a parish in June 1950, the building was improved to include heating, a finished hall, and other improvements.

On May 3, 1970 ground was broken for a new church at the current site that was similar in design to a Catholic Church that was radically changed by the Second Vatican Council.  The wheelchair accessible building includes a large yet intimate worship space with a gathering area that flows into parish offices and catechetical space.  These design concepts are still used in new churches today, some 42 years later.

In June 2005 St. Alphonsus in New Munster and St. John the Evangelist began sharing a Pastor under the direction of the Archdiocese.  The parish rectory was later converted to provide area residents with social service support such as the Twin Lakes Area Food Pantry, Daybreak Adult Day Program and an office for our local St. Vincent de Paul Chapter, although one suite in the rectory was maintained for occasional overnight use by visiting priests.

Over the past number of years, parish collaboration has become a key element in maintaining a vibrant and spiritual faith community.  Through collaboration, the mass schedule was modified and a number of key staff positions are now shared between St. John the Evangelist and St. Alphonsus parishes which creatively utilize our resources while enabling our parishes to function more efficiently. 

At this time, there are about 600 faith-filled families within St. John the Evangelist Parish. With the Holy Spirit to guide us, we will continue to work together with our neighboring parishes to use the resources of all to welcome people to Christ - who truly is the Light that guides us through darkness.                                                                           


Pastoral Staff

Administrator:    Father Robert Weighner
Associate Pastor:    Father Arthur Mattox
Trustees:  Bernie Schyvinck, Greg Sim
Parish Council Chairperson:
TBA
Director Administrative Services:
Pat Vos - 262.537.4370 ext. 237
Faith Formation K-5:  Jan Mc Rae, 262-877-2557 ext 223
Faith Formation 6-11 & Youth Ministry: Karen Olejniczak, 262-537-4370 ext 221
Parish Secretary: Cathy Luecht   stjohnev@archmil.org



Copyright 2007-2017
The Joint Parishes of St. Alphonsus and St. John the Evangelist
For questions or comments regarding our website, please contact our webmaster